Does anyone know if this has been fixed in newer versions?

  Option iCon 225 (HSDPA USB stick) cannot connect (Jaunty Jackalope
  9.04)

Status in “mobile-broadband-provider-info” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: network-manager

  I'm using an Asus EeePC 1000H and am trying to use my Option Icon 225
  internet USB stick (got this by Orange Switzerland). I seem to
  encounter similar problems as other users wrote, but on a brand new
  installed and completely updated Jaunty Jackalope (9.04).

  This is what happens and can be reproduced: When I connect the stick
  the first time, a wizard appears, which lets me choose my country
  (Switzerland) and my provider (Orange). After clicking "Apply" (I'm
  not sure about the English menus, buttons and dialogs) a message
  appears at the upper right corner. It tells me that I can start the
  connection by clicking on the network icon. I do this, select
  "Orange". After that I get a small dialog box asking for the PIN code,
  which I type in correctly. Everything looks great, but then it will
  not connect. There's a small black box at the upper right corner
  telling me: "GSM Network - you are now offline". It doesn't matter if
  I boot the EeePC with the stick connected or if I connect it
  afterwards.

  On that EeePC I first had Xandros (preinstalled by Asus). The stick
  worked there, but I prefer Ubuntu.

  I attach two log files (syslog and serial log) of what's logged while
  connecting the stick and trying to get it work.

  If you need other logs, please tell me how to get them. I'm not very
  experienced in this.

  Gabriela