I'm also encountering this issue since a few days, and I'm using Lucid.
When it happens, there's always an "uname" zombie too. As natilus
refuses to start another instance, and both are children of init, the
only option is to reboot the system.

  After a short period of use nautilus no longer reponds and becomes a
  zombie

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Nautilus may last for hours or just minutes then fails to respond.
  Menu items don't respond. It can't be shut down.  ps -A does not show
  a process for nautilus.  It can't be restarted. Shutdown of linux
  usually hangs at the request to terminate all processes.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.2.1-0ubuntu4.1
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-16-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386