** Description changed:

  Problem NIC is an LogiLink® PC0029   lspci says:  RTL8111/8168B PCI
  Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

  ubuntu wont detect the plugged in network cable after a fresh install
  and after installing all aviable "normal release" updates.  NIC is
  working perfectly under other OS, so a Hardware issue can be ruled out.

  I tried fixing it by installing
  http://r8168.googlecode.com/files/r8168-8.028.00.tar.bz2 by running the
  included "autorun.sh"  now the NIC gets up, but im still not able to get
- an IP from local dhcp. Sniffing directly on this NIC with crossover to
- another PC in Promiscuous mode shows there is  no DHCP Discovery sent
- out. After setting IP Manually on the Problem NIC and on the other PC. I
- have tried to ping each other. Sniffing directly on  the problem nic and
- on the second pc (directly connected to the problem nic) schowed,
+ an IP from local dhcp. Sniffing directly on this NIC ( connected via
+ crossover to another PC) in Promiscuous mode shows there was a DHCP
+ Discovery sent out.

- that the Problem NIC is still not sending or recieveing any packages.
- while Testing the Problem interface, NUM Lock and CapsLock LED on
- Keyboard began to blink and system freezed.
+ After setting IP Manually on the Problem NIC and on the other PC I have
+ tried to ping each other. Sniffing on  the problem nic (with the second
+ pc) schowed,
+
+ that the Problem NIC is not recieveing any packages. while Testing the
+ Problem interface, NUM Lock and CapsLock LED on Keyboard began to blink
+ and system freezed.

  After this i have booted Knoppix from a live CD.And There Problem NIC
  worked perfectly without any manual configuration.

  I think this could be a Low level system / Kernel / Driver bug

  Package: network-manager-gnome 0.9.1.90-0ubuntu6
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-17-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386
  CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden