I've also tested this in Lucid. Looks like the same issues, and also with an
external mouse.
I believe this is a hardware issue.

** Changed in: unity

** Changed in: unity (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: unity (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Chris J Arges (christopherarges)

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  unity does not respond to clicking

Status in Unity:
  Invalid
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Using Precise 12.04

  After doing a fresh install of precise, and then updating/upgrading
  /dist-upgrading to latest software. If I start using nautilis or
  firefox extensively, eventually (usually within 5 minutes), I can no
  longer click on anything. I can move my mouse, and some keyboard
  shortcuts work.

  Here is what works:
  I can press 'meta' key and activate the dash.
  I can press 'alt' and get 'type your command' window.
  I can move the mouse around.

  Here is what doesn't work:
  I cannot click on anything inside or outside current window such that I get
an expected response.
  I cannot Alt-Tab to switch windows.

  I have been using precise, and upgrading fairly frequently, and I think this
starting happening about a week ago.
  I have done a clean install to ensure it was nothing on my end, and am using
a default configuration.

  Package: unity 5.6.0-0ubuntu4
  CompizPlugins:
[core,composite,opengl,compiztoolbox,decor,vpswitch,snap,mousepoll,resize,place,move,wall,grid,regex,imgpng,session,gnomecompat,animation,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,workarounds,scale,expo,ezoom,unityshell]