On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 09:00 -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 12/15/05, George Staikos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Can we make this list invite-only for subscription and member-only posting?
> > Signal:noise ratio is dropping faster than I can keep up with the messages.
>
> Yes, please.
> (I'd even like to see it at least partly moderated, but that might be
> asking a bit much.)

This list really needs to be open, but membership to the list will
definitely benefit from some moderation.

I am going to suggest some self-moderation as the first step because I
don't know who to take off the list at this point.  In a couple of
weeks, I'll impose something more automated.

This list is intended to be a forum for architects from desktop
organizations, Linux distributions, applications/tools,
testing/usability/standards, Linux kernel, and deployment architects.
If you are NOT one of these _architects_, please remove yourself from
this list.

The major goal that this group of architects wants to accomplish is to
represent the Linux desktop developers as a single community rather than
a collection of disparate and competing organizations.  As such, we are
focusing on areas of commonality and synergy (I hate that word too).
There are plenty of other forums for arguing the differences.  Common
areas from the DAM were making it easier for software developers and
ISVs to develop applications across desktops/distributions/toolsets,
supporting desktop hardware with open source (mainlined) drivers, and
some process items around moving desktop specifications to standards.
So again, if you are not a desktop architect committed to addressing
these common focus areas, please remove yourself from this list.

Cheers,

John Cherry
OSDL Initiative Manager and mailing list Nazi