A thing that I think is really weird is that there mixed naming conventions
on desktops. Sometimes you find an application by name ("Abword") ans
sometimes by function ("Word processor"). I think that this is VERY
confusing and that this issues where not resolved but rather worsened in the
last years.

There are some questions who come out of this:

* Who should determine how an application is named on a desktop?
* if two applications have the same function like OO Writer and Abiword - I
think you have the problem with the function naming.

Personally I think mixed named would be better than mixed naming strategies.
So rather have longer menu entries like:
Abiword (word processor)

The naming by function is something for an integrated desktop where it is
not intended that user add additional software or that there are default
applications. The problem also is that if a user installs something like
totem but only finds video player in the menu (and to find out that a video
player is default for opening mp3 and ogg?)

Are these issues that should be determines by a distribution or by a
desktop? Have these issues been discussed somewhere  more generally for
desktops  at some point? if yes, please forward URLs.

regards,

Thilo

--
Thilo Pfennig