Den tors 25 apr. 2024 kl 18:20 skrev Ivan Zhakov <i...@apache.org>:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently working on CMake and vcpkg [1].
>
> One problem that I noticed is that APR 1.7.x (and APR-Util 1.6.x)
> install include files to INSTALL_PREFIX/include. While on other
> platforms include files installed to INSTALL_PREFIX/include/apr-1 (and
> apr-2 for apr-trunk).
>
> This problem is fixed in apr-trunk: CMake based builds install include
> files to INSTALL_PREFIX/include/apr-2.
>
> Installation to root include is not recommended by vcpkg. This can
> also introduce problems when apr-1 and apr-2 are installed
> side-by-side.
>
> I want to fix this in APR 1.7.x, but this could break users who rely
> that APR is installed to INSTALL_PREFIX/include.
>
> I see several options:
> 1. Just change to INSTALL_PREFIX/include/apr-1
> 2. Add a compile-time CMake option like APR_INSTALL_INCLUDE_TO_ROOT
> and enable it by default for apr 1.7.x, but disable for vcpkg builds.
>
> For me it seems that (2) is a safer way, but maybe it's overkill?

I'm admittedly very new here but is this a reasonable change to make in a
patch release? As a consumer of the library I would be quite surprised to
see this happening in a patch release (but maybe I don't fully understand
the implications).

What is the state of the 1.8.x branch? Would it make sense to rather do it
here and focus on releasing 1.8 with this change?

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg
(Subversion, Serf, TortoiseSVN)