On 01/03/2013 11:20 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Andrew Sutherland
<asutherl...@asutherland.org> wrote:
The e-mail (packaged) app does an asynchronous XHR to check whether there is
an autoconfig file in its local /autoconfig/ directory before moving on to
asking the internet for answers.  So if you type in "b...@yahoo.es" for your
e-mail address, we will do an XHR for "/autoconfig/yahoo.es".
And you are doing this from a page with a URL that looks something like

app://email.gaiamobile.org/index.html

Is that correct? I.e. you are doing an XHR request to something like

app://email.gaiamobile.org/autoconfig/yahoo.es

Yes, exactly.

Here's an example of what the unit tests do; the newly failing case was step 1:
https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia-email-libs-and-more/blob/master/test/unit/test_autoconfig.js#L399

Is this only happening if the "autoconfig/yahoo.es" file doesn't exist
in the app package? I.e. is the load completing successfully if the
file exists.

Right. If the file exists, everything is A-OK. If the file does not exist, the exception gets thrown after doing some nsJARChannel::LookupFile and nsJARChannel::AsyncOpen stuff. In earlier testing on the device rather than b2g-desktop, it did seem like sometimes an exception would not be thrown. I am assuming that memory pressure or something like that caused the JAR cache to be flushed .

A guess is that this is a regression from bug 815523.

If that is indeed the case, mark bug 826468 as blocking bug 815523 and
nominate it for for blocking-basecamp.

But I am worried that if this is too complicated to fix (hard to say
without knowing what's broken) then we might not be able to fix it in
time for launch.

It does seem a little edge-casey and potentially annoyingly complex. Jim Porter has already landed the simple workaround of wrapping the send() call in a try/catch, so the e-mail app will be okay again as of tomorrow.

Andrew