Hi Everyone!

I wanted to propose an idea for how we can make the RIL builds more
relevant for and accessible to developers. Let me begin by saying that I
truly appreciate the work that QA does and that I do personally read
through all of the smoketest build results to see whether there are any
regressions my work has introduced. I think it's a great resource! This is
simply one idea for how we could make it an even better one.

I believe (and I think others would agree) that tests are most useful when
a patch is submitted for review. When I do a code review, I like to see the
linter and test results alongside the patch to get a full perspective.
Travis is actually *much* more useful to me than TBPL because Travis tells
me how patches affect things when it matters most: when I'm reading code
and deciding whether a patch is ready to land. Imagine how many things we
wouldn't have broken if reviewers knew (when they accepted patches) whether
or not they were breaking the smoketests!

So, without further adieu, I propose that we do just that! Let's run the
smoketests on pull requests!

There's a catch though -- we have a very small QA team and there are *lots*
of pull requests. It's totally reasonable to question whether this is
possible. It's my opinion that with some clever automation we could make
the volume of QA work totally manageable. In broad strokes...

1. GitHub sends a notification to our service-x to tell us that a pull
request has been opened against mozilla-b2g/gaia.
2. service-x parses from the pull request information which bugzilla issue
the pull request is trying to fix.
3. service-x parses from the pull request which smoketests would be
affected by the patch.
4. service-x fetches the bug from bugzilla and parses out the environment
(ie gaia version and gecko version) that the patch is intended to be
applied to.
5. service-x cherry picks the patch onto the appropriate gaia branch and
builds b2g.
6. service-x sends a notification (maybe an email?) to qa with a link to
download the build, the smoketests that need to be run, and a link to the
pull request to comment on with the result of the smoketests.

I think if we built a service-x, it would make the amount of work that qa
needed to do in order to provide smoketest results to all of the pull
requests manageable. The manual work would be minimized to flashing a build
to a device, running only the affected smoketests, and commenting on a
GitHub issue.

Any thoughts :) ?

--
Best,