Hello,
I'm working on debugging how web pages work (or not) in the FirefoxOS web
browser (I have a Keon running Boot2Gecko 1.0.1.0-prerelease - build id
20130613185731 device for this purpose). I've been trying to figure out how to
set up a HTTP proxy for debugging. Basically, I want to have Fiddler or Charles
proxy running on a computer on the same WiFi network, and give the web browser
on the phone that computer's local IP address as proxy server. The proxy
setting can be specified per-WiFi or globally for HTTP(S) traffic. It should be
possible per this documentation:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox_OS/Security/Intercepting_traffic_using_a_proxy

There are two JS files with prefs - one in the web browser's profile folder
(prefs.js) and one in the /system/b2g tree (user.js). I've tried to modify
either of them to add prefs like these:

user_pref("network.proxy.http", "192.168.1.8");
user_pref("network.proxy.http_port", 8888);
user_pref("network.proxy.type", 1);

I've restarted the OS after pushing the modified files to the relevant folders.
However, the settings seem to have no effect.

Actually, debugging HTTP traffic and studying application behaviour from the
HTTP perspective seems like a very important requirement for both app and site
developers, so I'd expect a setting somewhere in the developer UI. There is
indeed a setting under "Cellular and data > Data settings" but it seems to be
for data traffic over a mobile network specifically, not for WiFi, and setting
it has no effect either. Same with the ril.data.httpProxyHost setting (which
may be what the UI under "Cellular and data" is about).

Two questions:
1) Are those settings supposed to work, or are proxy capabilities removed by
design?

2) Is it a known issue that such functionality should exist and work - any bugs
reported? If not, and if I'd like to push for getting this working (with
settings in the UI), where should I report a bug?

Thanks in advance,
Hallvord
Site compatibility tester, FirefoxOS/Firefox Android QA