On 8/23/13 10:50 PM, Tim Chien wrote:
David, by build size, you mean the size of the built packaged zip
files, of the original source files?
I mean 18mb of new files are going into the keyboard app zip file. Those data files are already fairly compressed, so I would guess that the zip file itself increases by 12-15mb. The data is read out of the raw data file everytime, so there is no indexeddb hit once it starts getting used.

I am updating the Traditional Chinese IME which will increase the
zip'ed size by ~1mb (bug 908577). When enabled, the IndexedDB backend
of the IME will create results a 18mb sqlite in the profile. When
removed the zip'ed size is reduced by 2.3mb.

Removing the Simplified Chinese IME saves about 600kb (zip'ed).

Drivers, do we have a hard limit of the build size on any particular devices?

I hope that when we ship 3rd-party keyboard framework, eventually, we
should be able to split these keyboards into different keyboard apps,
not preloading them, and make them available on Marketplace (just like
Firefox spell check dictionaries).
And for the built-in keyboard, it would be nice if there was a way for users to add keyboard layouts and dictionaries. I don't know how that would work, but it would be easy to modify the code to look in DeviceStorage for auto-correct dictionaries that aren't found pre-packaged in the app. I don't know how you'd get an autocorrect-dictionary from Marketplace to device storage, however (unless we started treating them like wallpapers and had the keyboard use a Pick activity to obtain them from some other app).

Alternatively, if we hit the hard limit before that, we would need to
make the build script of keyboard app configureable (I hope not).

Build-time configurability is actually my plan for bug 884752, which Andreas marked Koi+. The idea is to make the list of keyboard layouts and dictionaries configurable at build time (like the list of locales is) so that carriers can create builds for exactly the counties that they plan to support.

    David