Please do not order Nexus 4 devices except if you are working on JellyBean-related platform work. Its simply not a good abstraction of the kind of device we are targeting. If you are concerned about what device to use, please talk to your manager. If you don't work for Mozilla, we are trying to make sure shipping devices from ZTE and TCL are easily available for anyone to buy cheaply (eBay), and we will try to keep them up-to-date with FFOS for quite some time.

Andreas

James Burke wrote:
There have been rumblings of the unagi devices no longer being
supported in the near future for 1.2 work.

There are a few people within and without Mozilla that only have an
unagi devices. What devices are suggested for people that currently
have unagi devices?

This is my current understanding, but it has been pieced together,
hoping to get confirmation of this guidance:

1) A developer doing daily gaia development: try to get a hamachi. You
need a phone that is close to what is shipping for making sure changes
do not affect performance. Caveat seems to be that they may be hard to
get.

2) A developer that wants to start making apps for firefoxos: the
nexus 4 may be an option. It could also be used for main gaia work,
but note: while the build settings for nexus 4 try to throttle it to
look more like the kinds of devices that may ship in the near term, it
is not an exact match, so use with caution.

I have ordered a Nexus 4 as backstop to make sure I can keep working
in case my unagi stops working, but I believe I should also acquire a
more realistic shipping device for any performance work. To me that
implies hamachi, but it will be good to know if there are other
options.

James