Thanks for the response Eduardo!

Unfortunately, I get a verification failed error when trying to flash the
ztedevices.com zip file in recovery mode (seems pretty common in other
threads). When I try to flash your custom boot.img, I am still getting the "No
such device" error described above.

However, I have gone into the actual fastboot source code and found the exact
point where fastboot fails to flash the device:

In engine.c[1], fb_queue_flash() first sends the data to the device (line
#383), then tells the device to flash the partition via a "flash:boot" or
"flash:recovery" command (line #388).

However, when usb_write() and ioctl() are eventually called for the
"flash:boot" or "flash:recovery" command in usb_linux.c[2] (line #363), this
causes the device to reboot.

When the device reboots, it no longer has the same usb_handle as previously.
Thus, when usb_read() tries to read the response of the usb_write() in
usb_linux.c[2] (line #400), it can't find the cached usb_handle that has since
changed. This is why I get a "No such device" error.

So, the real problem is why does sending a "flash:boot" or "flash:recovery"
command to the device cause a reboot? Apparently, that's not supposed to
happen. When fastboot sends other commands (like "getvar:max-download-size") it
returns just fine.

Does anyone know the internals of the ZTE Open that might explain why those
commands are causing reboots?

Thanks again,
Daniel

[1] -