I've read all the posts and both of these:

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/12/upgrading-your-zte-open-to-firefox-os-1-1/comment-page-1/#comment-2157053

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/01/upgrading-your-zte-open-to-firefox-1-1-or-1-2-fastboot-enabled/

I'm trying to do this with a stock ZTE Open phone (version 1.0.1.0)
and using Fedora 20 LXDE.

I have the 1.2 images from Dropbox. I installed adb with yum and
fastboot seems to be there. I didn't download from Android.
When I install the Firefox OS Simulator, it says "Device Connected"
and I can see my ZTE as a USB drive in Fedora.

So when I type
  adb devices
I get
  roamer2 device

when I type
  adb reboot bootloader
I get
  [nothing - the window hangs]

when I type
  fastboot reboot
I get
  < waiting for device >

However, if I reboot the ZTE and type
  adb reboot boatloader
at just the right moment in the reboot cycle, I can type
  fastboot flash boot boot.img
and I get this
  sending 'boot' (4600 KB)...
  OKAY [ 0.460s]
  writing 'boot' ...
  FAILED (status read failed (no such device))
  finished. total time: 5.844s

Here are my questions:

1. Does this mean that I have fastboot installed?
2. No matter what buttons I press in any order, I can't get the
recovery screen to show up
3. Does it matter that I don't have a SIM or a micro-SD card in the ZTE?
4. Should I go back to Windows and use the micro-SD card method? I
can't seem to trigger it.

Oh, I also tried this for Fedora:
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/08/pushing-a-firefox-os-web-app-to-zte-open-phone/
But I got this error:
  Redirecting to /bin/systemctl restart udev.service
  Failed to issue method call: Unit udev.service failed to load: No
such file or directory.
Is this the problem. I'm a long time Linux user (Slack on 3 floppies)
but I spend too much time on Windows.)

Any help appreciated!