Since I'm on Windows the quickest route to B2G hacking appeared to be
installing it in an Ubuntu running as a VM through VMware Workstation.

Unfortunately, it turned out that performance was way below what could be
practically useful.  Inputting text takes like 10-20 seconds per character...

Q: Is this to be expected?

For Android app development I have used the X86 version of the Emulator + HAXM
and it is really speedy.

Q: Any plans to make emulator-based B2G development a bit more realistic?  I'm
only interested in the platform stuff so I can't use the simulator.

Q: Would a standalone box like Dell's XPS 13 with Ubuntu + i7 + 8G RAM and SSD
be useful?

Anders