Since the rocketbar is a tightly integrated part of the OS, the primary
navigation, its going to be hard to make user replaceable, part of
designing an operating system is deciding how people are going to use it,
it is of course possible to fork gaia and build an alternative UI

And we are hoping the rocketbar will be a huge improvement over the current
search implementation, of course would be happy for people to try it out as
we work on it and give feedback / contribute

Also I share your disappointment with the currently available devices,
There is a reference device that in the works that hopefully vastly
improves the situation -
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/02/23/new-developer-hardware-and-tools-show-firefox-os-ecosystem-momentum-2/

Cheers
Dale