Hi all,

As a web platform, FxOS always follow the standard and join to create the
standard.
As a mobile OS, FxOS always tries to give user more great experience and enrich
their live then bringing in more devices and people into web.
As a device partner using mobile OS, I would like FxOS to support more popular
and common features in the market not the feature came or implemented by
standard but not be supported in the market.
As a user, I would expect my device and OS can perform most of popular service
in the market now. (and actually user don't care it's standard or not)

My question is
For a new feature, firstly people would like to find any current standards
which can be combined to achieve the feature even this combination is more
complicated.
But why don't we investigate a new one to let things go easily or leverage the
existing way in the market now?

Example 1: HTTP Live Streaming
According to MSE, gecko removed to support DASH and move it to be a dash.js +
MSE.
Then people expected that HLS should be implemented by something like hls.js +
MSE because it can be adapted to standard and scalable on different manifest
mechanisms.
But the practical fact is that the current content providers and their apps
expected m3u8 URL can be put into src of video tag then starting to enjoy
video.
Therefore the ideal way using standard to support HLS is no useful for many
popular content services in the market.
Force them to adapt our way or let things to easily since there is no standard
on HLS to push hls.js + MSE.

Example 2: DLNA
Opera introduced Network Device Discovery API (working draft) and there are
UDP/TCP Web Socket are introduced too.
So people started to think DLNA can be adapted by these Web API and some
implementation on Web Content (ex:upnp_av_profile.js + UDP/TCP Web Socket).
But the practical fact is that device partner want to leverage a 3rd party
library into their platform which is confirmed to pass the certification and
guaranteed stability.
Also 3rd party library can cover others like DTCP which is no standard web api
announced to cover yet. (maybe can be covered by some combination)
Force device partner to take back the effort or let them have a way to leverage
existing way in the market now?

>From my point of view, to support m3u8 in video tag and propose a new DLNA web
>api which allow user agent to leverage 3rd library are my hope.

Thanks,
Sincerely yours
Marco Chen
Engineering Manager