I managed to unbrick my ZTE Open C today, thanks to updated instructions here
(thanks!):

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Developer_phone_guide/ZTE_OPEN_C

The root problem was exactly what's described in the attached bug: There's a
bug in the firmware that will crash if you send it an image file bigger than
about 256MB, so you need to build a stripped-down system.img with just enough
stuff to let the recovery installer validate the update.zip file from the
sdcard, but small enough to be uploaded through fastboot. (If anyone wants the
hacked-up system.img I used, email me privately.)

However, the developer page claims you still need Windows to run the "upgrade
tool" that would allow me to install FFOS 1.4. I don't have Windows and
probably never will.

Is there any hope for people like me? Is some kind of upgrade tool "coming
soon"? How soon? Or will this OS always be Windows-only, and I should give up?
I can be trusted with low-level command-line tools -- try me!

(Without meaning to sound *too* bitter, I definitely would not have purchased a
Firefox phone if I knew it required Windows. That, to me, is the *opposite* of
"open". Linux users are not *all* bad!)