Turns out my WiFi problems were in fact because of missing symlinks in the image. I wrote a script to find all the symlinks that are supposed to get created and regenerate the updater-script file correctly. I posted my modifications to https://github.com/staktrace/moz-scripts/tree/master/rom-scripts. If you're interested in using this, you can do like so:

# get the scripts
$ cd $SOME_TMP_DIR
$ git clone git://github.com/staktrace/moz-scripts

# build for Nexus 4
$ cd $B2G_DIR
$ BRANCH=master ./config.sh nexus-4 && ./build.sh

# symlink the rom-scripts to your B2G folder
# (the make-rom.sh script assumes rom-scripts is in the same
# folder as the rom folder)
$ ln -s $SOME_TMP_DIR/moz-scripts/rom-scripts ./rom-scripts

# build the ROM image
$ mkdir rom
$ cd rom
$ ../rom-scripts/make-rom.sh