Or more simple:

server:

app.js

var http = require('http');
var fs = require('fs');

var server = http.createServer( function(req, res) {
    fs.readFile('./index.html', function(error, data) {
        res.writeHead(200, { 'Content-Type': 'text/html' });
        res.end(data, 'utf-8');
    });
}).listen(3000);

var io = require('socket.io').listen(server);

io.sockets.on('connection', function(socket) {
    socket.emit('mensaje', { text: 'hola' });
});

index.html

<script src="/socket.io/socket.io.js"></script>
<script>
     var socket = io.connect();
    socket.on('mensaje', function(data) {
        alert(data.text);