Assuming https://tbpl.mozilla.org/?tree=B2g-Inbound&rev=59eb7edaa6ed doesn't
catch fire, we'll be landing bug 846200, bug 900551, and bug 1015518 into
nightly today or tomorrow. These encompass the ability to access the settings
API from privileged apps.

Of course, we don't want privileged apps hitting ALL settings, so we're also
introducing the ability to have per-settings permissions. For instance, once
these bugs land, there will be a new settings:wallpaper.image permission that
will allow privileged apps to read and/or write just the wallpaper setting.
We'll be expanding the settings that are exposed as needed.

The settings API will remain mostly the same, outside of the addition of a
"MozSettingsTransactionEvent" that will now be fired at the end of lock
lifetime, to notify the lock creator that all queries on the lock either
succeeded or failed.

Please file bugs and assign to me if you see any issues with settings.

Thanks!
Kyle