This is exactly hat I was trying to do, but sadly I'm coming upon a
closed/locked system:

        # mount
        /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system ext4 ...
        /dev/block/vold/259:1 /storage/sdcard0 vfat ...
        /dev/block/vold/179:65 /storage/sdcard1 vfat ...

        # ls -l
        lrwxrwxrwx root     root              1970-01-01 01:00
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
        brw------- root     root     179,  12 1970-01-01 01:00
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12

Also, no permission to access the external sdcard:

        # ls -l /dev/block/vold/
        opendir failed, Permission denied

        # ls -l /dev/block/vold/259:1
        /dev/block/vold/259:1: Permission denied

        # ls -l /storage
        dr-xrwx--- system   sdcard_rw          1970-01-01 01:00 sdcard0
        dr-xrwx--- system   media_rw          1970-01-01 01:00 sdcard1

        # ls -l /storage/sdcard1