On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 12:36:45 PM UTC+2, Emueval Randomised wrote:
> An,
>
> Just because most Android devices don't come rooted it doesn't mean FirefoxOS
> devices shouldn't either.

Correct. If you ask me, no device should be UNrooted, it's the business of the
owner what he/she does with it. But to clarify, I was just enumerating the
context.

> All Android 4.x devices, rooted or not, have basically all the functionality
> and average user can ask for. Sure an upgrade to those devices would be nice
> but ultimately they are pretty usable as they are so being "stuck" on say 4.2
> isn't really that big a deal.
>
> FirefoxOS however is totally different. New essential features are still
> being added and without an ability to upgrade, even using unofficial
> community builds if not official updates, people are left with devices
> lacking basic features that a sub-$100 Android phone would offer out of the
> box. This is a major issue. People need to be able to use their FirefoxOS
> phones daily and not as a backup device.

Correct. Firefox devices for "normal" people are a ripoff, even if they were
say $10. Ex. not having a proximity sensor while the OS expects one for normal
operation is unacceptable and so is not having a led light blinking when you
miss a call or sms.

> Secondly, I feel it is important to let, even encourage, users to "play" with
> their devices. Letting people get insight into the inner workings of their
> phone builds a community which can provide unofficial upgrades even if OEMs
> refuse.

Well, this is the key point of my posts on this issue, while Mozilla encourages
users to be creative (which is quite welcome) their partners play to a
different music. Some partnership!  And no one gives any explanation...