Kevin,

Your use case doesn't necessary has to be fulfilled by packaged apps.
Deployment can always be delegated to 3rd-parties instead of running
your own server. Marketplace can certainly support anything other than
a zip file if we decided too.

The only use case that can be complex I could think of is peer-to-peer
app sharing. These web apps installed w/o a direct connection to it's
origin would need some way to authenticate, or we would have to again
throw it into a sympathized sandboxed origin.

That said, I too is not convinced Service Workers can fulfill
everything we need as easily as we do today. We probably need to wrap
it with some tooling or client library to make it more friendly.

Tim