On 11 Feb 2015, at 1:10 am, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 11:52:55 AM UTC+1, Julien Wajsberg wrote:
>> Hey Paul,
>>
>> Le 09/02/2015 12:41, Paul Theriault a écrit :
>>> === SMS  ===
>>> SMS is risky mainly due to the cost involved. Risks include cost of sending
>>> SMS and also SMS are very sensitive - e.g. often used in 2-factor auth
>>> (e.g. banking)
>>>
>>> But there are different use cases. For example, many use cases just need
>>> the ability to receive SMS - instead of granting SMS permission, we could
>>> expose a read-only SMS datastore which other apps could observe changes on
>>> which removes the cost risk (but not the sensitive data risk).
>>
>> I don't understand how having a read only access would prevent a webpage
>> from reading a 2-factor auth SMS.
>>
>> I wonder if we could have a permission as fine as giving access to a
>> specific thread ?
>> Or access to some properties (the phone numbers) but not others (the SMS
>> content) ?
>>
>> I'm also not sure how a user can choose knowingly whether he should give
>> access to such things from this webpage :/
>
> Neither am I.  I think this calls for "Trusted Web Applications" that would
> be installed locally but invoked from untrusted code.  It would be a
> complement to
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2015Feb/0000.html
>
> Trusted web applications would be signed and be usable in IFRAMEs.

Maybe so - but the goal of this thread was really to examine the other side,
i.e. making our APIs safe. As I said in the original email, I don’t think we
will solve all use cases with this model. We should continue the trusted app
discussion in the other threads I referenced in the original mail ("deprecate
packaged apps” etc)