On 18 February 2015 at 11:14, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 8:47 PM, James Burke <jrbu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Echoing the sentiment about "hard":  it adds a lot more complication.
> > A service I now need to monitor as a developer to keep running, when
> > it is not needed if I do a native app. It can also require a different
> > set of developer skills.
>
> This will always be true for the web. You're not just in charge of
> writing the application, but also making sure it's "available for
> download". There's a lot of parties around the web helping out with
> infrastructure needs, but if they're not good enough compared native
> perhaps that is a place where we can do some good.

The difference between putting up a static website available to download is
an entirely different prospect to maintaining a live active service. Github
has make publishing / updating static sites free and easy along with
several other services, self hosting a static site I dont think is
prohibitive. But having to run proxy servers for network (socket or cors)
access very much is.