If I were Mozilla I would call off the quest for the "Holy Grail" (the open
portable web), because:
1) It probably doesn't exist
2) It is incompatible with the non-FFOS world which have no problems whatsoever
writing "Apps"
3) Will never be able to support a large class of intrinsically proprietary
systems like payments not to mention security hardware
4) It eventually makes Mozilla weaker

A better solution is looking into Chrome Native Messaging which still enables
the world creating fully platforms-independent web applications which is what
really counts.

Chrome Native Messaging should also have a fairly small footprint both as an
implementation as well as a true web standard.

Cheers,
Anders Rundgren
http://blog.chromium.org/2013/10/connecting-chrome-apps-and-extensions.html