On 03/25/2015 01:39 PM, Dave Huseby wrote:

> Yes, I think I wasn't clear. I said "RIL interface" referring to that
> set of xpcom components.
>
> Do the vendors customize the interfaces and dependencies between gecko
> and their xpcom components? Do they modify our code to call into
> their custom set of interfaces?

No.

> Maybe we should talk to our vendor partners and see if we can
> standardize/stabilize the interfaces/dependencies in such a way that
> they don't feel the need to customize them...they make sure it stays
> that way by putting it in the contract.
>
> If we can do that, then they can provide custom implementations that
> our "stock" gecko uses and we'd take back control over gecko. We'd be
> able to update gecko independent of their shared library of RIL
> interface xpcom objects.

Yes the ril team works closely with partners. The technical issue is
that a binary xpcom that has been built against gecko version X can't be
loaded by gecko version Y because we don't guarantee this will work (and
I tested bypassing the version check, this crashed nicely afterward).

        Fabrice
--
Fabrice Desré
b2g team