Hi all,

As a front-end developer I always feel it's painful to build whole
B2G, especially if I just want to test my app on the real device with
new Gecko. However, as I've heard, because of the legal issue, Mozilla
can't distribute builds which includes the private firmwares. So
although with PVT server and as a MoCo employee, I can fetch the new
images from it and thus complete the whole process without building,
for other front-end developers that we promised to bring Web to the
mobile, it's still a terrible obstacle.

Recently I've noticed that it seems possible to build Gecko for
specific device (Flame) *without* extracting any private files from
the device. And since it includes no private firmwares, anyone obeys
the MPL should be able to distribute it (or not?). Moreover, since our
PVT server already provides "Gecko" build, I think if the build is
clean (without any private parts as the version I've built), it should
be legal to distribute that part. So that would be the cure for those
whom never build something complicated more than a website backend, if
it's possible to host a nightly version Gecko for those available
devices.

Moreover, for those relatively open hardware, like Raspberry Pi, we
may even provide a full image to flash to let front-end developers
could really bring the similar experiences to our platform. Is this
possible to provide such builds? Or any other issues prevent us to do
that?

--
Greg Weng

http://about.me/snowmantw

Understand y f = f [ y f ] ; lose last remaining non-major friend
    -- Anonymous