Is there any effort under way to making the smoketests automated and
run as part of our regular automation testing? The B2G QA team does a
great job of identifying regressions and tracking down the regressing
changeset, but AFAIK this is an entirely manual process that happens
after the change has landed. Ideally we should catch this on try
pushes or on landing though, and for that we need to automate the
smoketests.

There have been a lot of complaints (and rightly so) about all sorts
of B2G-breaking changesets landing. I myself have landed quite a few
of them. I think it's unrealistic to expect every Gecko developer to
run through all of the smoketests manually for every change they want
to make (even just for the main devices/configurations we support).
It's also unrealistic to expect them to reliably identify "high risk"
changes for explicit pre-landing QA testing, because even small
changes can break things badly on B2G given the variety of
configurations we have there.

I think the only reasonable long-term solution is to automate the
smoketests, and I would like to know if there's any planned or
in-progress effort to do that.

Cheers,
kats