On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 3:34 AM, Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> On 22/06/15 16:21, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> ** Phone behavior **
>>
>> One of the primary pieces of functionality of a smartphone is the
>> phone. I.e. phone calls and SMS/MMS. While these are old and boring
>> technologies, they are still heavily used.
>>
>> I think it would be great to add hooks to enable addons to react to
>> incoming and outgoing phone calls and SMS/MMS.
>>
>> Ideally this would not be done by having the addons modify the Gaia
>> app frontends, but rather by having the addons hook in to the
>> phone/SMS/MMS backends. Both because it'll be easier for addons to
>> hook in at that level, and because we can keep backend hooks stable
>> even when we update Gaia/FirefoxOS to users.
>
> Although it would be cool if the app was then notified about any changes
> so it could update its UI. E.g. if a dial-through addon modifies my
> dialling of an international number to first dial a local number, wait,
> and then dial through the international number, I'd like to see what was
> happening on the display. Otherwise, I'll dial and see e.g.:
>
> 001 413 243 0181
>
> but hear the touchtone equivalents for:
>
> 020 1234 4567 <pause> 001 413 243 0181
>
> I'd like to say I think this API is critically important. Being able to
> mess with this stuff is still not very possible on other platforms, and
> yet it's a crucial feature for putting users in control. But it's also
> easily abusable by malware, which is another reason I think we need to
> have UI updates for what the phone is actually doing.

I agree that we should enable addons to modify outgoing phone numbers
in such a way that the user sees the modified phone number.

However given that addons will be able to modify the dailer UI, there
is no way we can ensure that the user sees what number is called. And
I think that's good since I want to enable addons that modify the user
experience.

Addons are scary, they can and will do things that are unsafe. We need
to be fine with that. That's why we are separating addons from web
content.

/ Jonas