On 19 September 2017 at 04:54, Alex Davis <ada...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Apparently we didn't land any client-side telemetry for sync until version
>> 47 or so (i think?). that means that when we count users based on FxA (not
>> sync) stats, we will see a longer tail of users with older versions. so
>> when making this decision maybe we should pay attention to that?
>

> This seems about right. Since Sync telemetry is client side, we won't have
> the full history.
>
> @leif, I was reminded that we probably mostly care about multi-device
> users. If users are on Fx <40 but don't sync between 2 devices, do we
> really care? We wouldn't be providing much value to them. Any chance we can
> break this down by multi-device users instead of devices?
>
> * We stop proactively testing on versions < X, but accept and fix reported
>> bugs on that version
>> * We wont fix bugs that only affect versions < Y, but don't prevent users
>> from attempting to use them
>> * We proactively error out when we detect a login attempt with version < Z
>>

> Talking to Karlof in SF on Friday, he proposed something similar. Seems
> like the second bullet would make the most sense. We stop fixing old
> versions but don't prevent users from using them. This way we can be a bit
> more aggressive with which version we want to support and it encourages
> users to update.

One consideration here may be cases where we know it *definitely won't
work*, e.g. the browser is too old to support a webchannel message that we
now depend on.  We should try to error out cleanly in such cases rather
than showing e.g. a "working" spinner that just hangs around indefinitely.

  Ryan

> [...]
>> since you're pulling raw pings perhaps we should trust those more... but I
>> could be wrong. for comparison, below are the analogous numbers I'm getting
>> from re:dash (https://sql.telemetry.mozilla.org/queries/38529). they are
>> based on the entire sync_summary_v2 dataset for the past 7 days.
>>
>> version counts prop
>> 48 1 0
>> 50 47,569 0.01
>> 51 53,285 0.01
>> 52 500,793 0.06
>> 53 136,974 0.02
>> 54 906,476 0.11
>> 55 5,987,420 0.76
>> 56 92,960 0.01
>> 57 19,784 0
>>
>> so, according to these numbers versions 52 and up should cover 98.7% .
>> that's pretty close to what Mark estimates. however I have a couple
>> questions/comments:
>>
>> 1. Mark you said that your numbers are based on a 10% sample, yet they
>> seem to be around the same order of magnitude as my numbers. as far as i
>> know sync_summary_v2 is not a sampled dataset, so do we know what the
>> difference there might be?
>> 2. Apparently we didn't land any client-side telemetry for sync until
>> version 47 or so (i think?). that means that when we count users based on
>> FxA (not sync) stats, we will see a longer tail of users with older
>> versions. so when making this decision maybe we should pay attention to
>> that?
>>
>> with that in mind here are the comparable numbers for the FxA data. I
>> omitted ios devices and versions with only 1 user:
>> https://sql.telemetry.mozilla.org/queries/38604
>>
>> version counts prop
>> 40 and below 57,869.00 0.01
>> 41.00 15,443.00 0.00
>> 42.00 14,849.00 0.00
>> 43.00 37,472.00 0.00
>> 44.00 17,411.00 0.00
>> 45.00 55,595.00 0.01
>> 46.00 21,085.00 0.00
>> 47.00 108,109.00 0.01
>> 48.00 113,114.00 0.01
>> 49.00 68,451.00 0.01
>> 50.00 81,087.00 0.01
>> 51.00 82,610.00 0.01
>> 52.00 626,233.00 0.06
>> 53.00 207,903.00 0.02
>> 54.00 1,037,261.00 0.10
>> 55.00 7,741,729.00 0.74
>> 56.00 153,630.00 0.01
>> 57.00 32,955.00 0.00
>>
>> Here, 52 and up covers only 93.5% of users. to cover 99% we would need to
>>
>> hope that helps!
>> -Leif
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:55 AM, Mark Hammond <mhamm...@mozilla.com>
>> wrote:

>>> approach
>>>
>>> I'm slightly skeptical of that data (although a quick look doesn't make
>>> it clear there's anything wrong with it, if there actually is) - but my
>>> understanding has always been that the uptake of new Firefox versions is
>>> slower than we'd like, but generally successful within the 6 week cycle.
>>>
>>> By contrast, if I look at 10% of all desktop Firefoxes that submitted a

>>> 50 -    26527, 0.34
>>> 51 -    27602, 0.35
>>> 52 -   419814, 5.31
>>> 53 -    56468, 0.71
>>> 54 -   257171, 3.26
>>> 55 -  7002788, 88.63
>>> 56 -    83928, 1.06
>>> 57 -    26413, 0.33
>>>
>>> so in that 10% sample, there was exactly 1 version 49. Looking at 52
>>> (current ESR) and up gives ~99.3% of all pings.
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/mhammond/46906eb3de269f3969e2fffc6dd801eb
>>>
>>> FWIW, going back 28 days (still a 10% sample) shows the same basic
>>> pattern, although obviously 54 is higher due to it being the current
>>> release for some of that period.
>>>
>>> 49 -        5, 0.00
>>> 50 -   109896, 0.36
>>> 51 -   117934, 0.39