Hey Adrien,

We've of course considered GitHub when we moved from Subversion a few years
ago. Here's the deal:
- I wanted one single piece of infrastructure to maintain as our "master"; we
have enterprise and other internal projects to host on Git, so public Github
wasn't an option. Private repos didn't really work for us either IIRC simply
because we had too many and the price got crazy. Self-hosted GitHub was
dismissed for similar reasons. Prices have changed since, but eh.
- Self-hosted alternatives to GitHub were immature at the time, so we brew up
our own limited cocktail with Gitolite and Gitweb.
- We could *mirror* to GitHub, unfortunately we can't "just" do that; they have
a commit size limitation (which makes perfect sense and isn't crazy at all),
and due to history, we just can't mirror magnolia_main right now, it would be
rejected (i tried). I know exactly which commits are preventing this, so the
day we're ready to do it, we'll have to "rewrite history" by slashing those
commits. Which means EVERY CLONE EVER of the repo will be unusable.
- We're now considering this again (and you're not the only interested in this
;)); I can't give any ETA, but we'll likely move to a GitHub-like, still
self-hosted, tool. When that time comes, we might be able to pull off some
magic to remove those offending commits from history (accidental commit of big
files which shouldn't have been there in the first place). And when that's
done, nothing will prevent us from also mirroring to GitHub.

--
Context is everything:
http://forum.magnolia-cms.com/forum/thread.html?threadId=231af3d2-843c-4206-9c55-c93a51968c31