> Is texlua something to do with luatex?

  Yes, it's LuaTeX behaving as pure Lua interpreter (equivalent to
"luatex --luaonly" or something like that).  It gives you access to more
functionalities than only Lua, since it has a lot of additional Lua
libraries included (see the LuaTeX reference manual for these).

> It looks like someone has changed texdoc from shell to "texlua"

  If you mean in TeX Live, yes.  This is very useful for Windows users,
in particular, since in we can rely on the same LuaTeX executable being
available there.  Are you really unable to compile LuaTeX on OpenBSD?

        Arthur