Paweł Jackowski wrote:

1. New pdf table fields (pdf.pdftrailer, pdf.pdfinfo, pdf.pdfcatalog, pdf.pdfnames) actually do nothing more but assign internal toks lists. As we know, their pdftex equivalents weren't generic toks lists, but perhaps they should for interface consistency? And perhaps they should live in the same place as pdfpageattr and companion?

this is on purpose as the interface at the lua end is not modelled after the one at the tex end; we will even go further and provide hooks at the lua end like pdf.writecatalog(collectedsofar) or so, i.e. even more control

2. Fontmap-related write-only fields (pdf.mapline, pdf.mapfile) could actually be static functions

    pdf.mapline "+font Font ..."
    pdf.mapfile "pdftex.map"

as there is no advantage of having them dynamic. Then one can local them

    local mapline = pdf.mapline

avoiding unnecessary overhead of metacall on every access to pdf table.

well, the whole font/map related bit of the code will be overhauled (not before 0.50) as part of other cleanup (type1c etc) but that will not happen before 0.50. The overhead you mention is neglectable (after all functions also have overhead).

Hans