On 29-8-2010 1:29, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
On 08/29/2010 01:15 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 29-8-2010 9:03, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
On 08/29/2010 08:48 AM, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

Is the following 172 something like I need? How would I access that
(besides string.gsub())?

<node nil< 172> nil : hlist 2>

I am currently using this number in the middle via tostring() and
gsub(). But I'd still like to know if this can be used as an id.

This number uniquely identifies a node for as long as it stays
allocated, yes. If it is freed, a new node may have the same
number.

but for storing the node's id one can as well use the nodes user object
itself as it's equally unique during the livespan of a node and one can
compare pointers so the 'id' snippet in the string is not giving more
uniqueness than the node user object itself

Not necessarily: there can be different userdata objects for the same
node. (I only just now realized that)

Sure, and in the beginning we even had problems with the comparison (and I know of a few places in my code that I need to deal with it) but I think that for patricks case the only thing that matters is uniqueness during a certain period (this graph creation i guess)

Anyhow, a way out is:

local t = {}
for ... loop over fields in node ... do
end
hash = table.concat(t) -- maybe with some sort on keys beforehand

Hans