On 10-6-2011 6:20, Mauricio CA wrote:
Can I use metafont fonts with luatex?

they are independent entities, so the answer is yes

if you mean: can I include bitmaps, the answer is yes too (because
the backend supports bitmaps ->  type 3)

But please note that (from manual) "type3 fonts are provided for
backward compatibility only, and do not support the new wide encoding
options."

I've being learning metafont and I thought I could use luatex for
enconding conveniences, like input in utf-8. Does that sentence mean I
can't map utf-8 input to a metafont font?

sure you can as you can make a virtual font out of the metafont

Hans