On 2021-07-21 at 15:57:00 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

 > the sharing made sense in the time when one ran tex from a dvd in
 > which case all binaries shared the same precooked formats (or on
 > networkshares servingb multiple architectures) but afaik running
 > from dvd was dropped and hardly anyone runs multiple platforms from
 > one share (those who do can probably figure out some trick)

It still makes sense.  It's true that we currently can't provide a
live system on a DVD but it's still possible to install a live system
on USB sticks.  User groups can't provide USB sticks because they are
too expensive.

Installing TL on a server is certainly much more common than you
think.  I'm doing this for years at work.  And some of my workflows
heavily depend on TeX Live's portability.

So whenever possible, please don't give up this great feature.

Regards,
  Reinhard