On 3/10/2022 9:18 AM, Ikumi Keita wrote:
Hello LuaTeX developers,

I have a few questions I'd like to ask you. In log message, luatex
engine produces slightly different error context from what pdftex does.
Here is a sample code:
Nullam eu ante vel est convallis dignissim. } Nulla posuere.
\bye
When I process this file by luatex, it results in the following error:
------ luatex result -------------------------------------------------
! Too many }'s.
l.1 Nullam eu ante vel est convallis dignissim. }
                                                 Nulla posuere.
On the other hand, pdftex results in:
------ pdftex result -------------------------------------------------
! Too many }'s.
l.1 Nullam eu ante vel est convallis dignissim. }
                                                   Nulla posuere.
The output of luatex is shifted by two characters compared with that of
pdftex. (I'm using TeX Live 2021.)

This discrepancy confuses preview-latex (subsystem of AUCTeX), which
depends on the precise position of the log messages:

I'm not sure whether this behavior is a bug or not, but is it something
I can expect to be fixed? If not, is there any workaround to make the
output the same as pdftex? (e.g. command line option)
Because file and token input follows a different route in luatex an dcan also be influenced by lua mix-in (which itself can result in intermediate flushing or position adjustments of log outpout) it is best to assume that it's not the same as in pdftex. To a large extent is it the same but there are definitely differences. In this case I'd strip / ignore spaces before comparing. So here it probably more a side effect than a bug and 'fixing' this might as well introduce side effects someplace else.

(there are various position states wrt logging: terminal as well as log file and they can run in sync or out of sync depending on the situation and log related parameters, as well as writing from lua or tex, combined with configuration setting ... so we have sort of a complex commprimis)

Hans