On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 at 10:37, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 7/29/2022 9:39 PM, David Carlisle wrote:
> > Normally a hyphen inserted at a line break comes from the font used for
> > the current word.
> >
> > If the luatex extended {before}{after}{nobreak} syntax is used in
> > \hyphenation the same is true unless the nobreak field is empty in which
> > case the font from (I think) the end of the paragraph is used.
> >
> > This is LuaTeX, Version 1.15.0 (TeX Live 2022)
> >
> > You can work around the issue by repeating the following character so
> >
> > {-}{w}{w} instead of {-}{}{}w
> >
> > in the attached example, but this seems wrong?
> works ok in luametatex where it uses the wordstart font so i'll see if i
> can backport that bit (the language code is quite different so i need to
> check carefully)
>
> Hans

Hans, thanks.

Mostly this started from a latex user on stackexchange, I was just
removing latex idioms to report here.
https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/652458/1090

This seems to be a possibly related issue, why in the first example
here, does the "i" which is not in a discretionary get dropped?

\hyphenation{Ab{-}{s}{s}{-}{t}{t}rak{-}{t}{t}i{-}{o}{o}ns-ebe{-}{n}{n}e}

X\hskip 400pt Abstraktionsebene

X\hskip 420pt Abstraktionsebene

\bye

This seems similar to this example in the luatex manual (texlive 2022
version, last table in section 5.4).

\hyphenation{z{a-}{-b}{z}{a-}{-b}{z}[3]{a-}{-b}{z}[1]{a-}{-b}{z}z}

\hfuzz30pt
\parindent0pt
\hsize0em

123 zzzzzz 123

\bye

the final z, the word space and the 1 at the start of the next word
all get dropped so the text ends -b23 which matches the manual but I
suspect is wrong?

David