On 2/20/14 12:08, Dan Mosedale wrote:
On Thu Feb 20 09:15:15 2014, Adam Roach wrote:

Keep in mind that the nominal user experience for this, once we get to
MVP, will be rooted in an address book. I'll have my list of contacts,
which includes phone numbers and email addresses. When an address book
user is activated by a user, we'll check whether the contact info
corresponds to a Loop user. If so, we place a call in that direction;
otherwise, we offer to create a "call me" URL and (if possible)
deliver it using the contact means (email or phone/SMS) corresponding
to the address book entry. So, when we create the URL, we'll know who
the user intends to give it to.

This is important because it allows us to say "You have an incoming
call from Alexis" rather than "You have an incoming call from some
random person." The delivery of calling party identity is simply
considered table stakes for a communications service nowadays [1].

I'm confused. Isn't the main use case for the "call me link" making it very easy for someone who doesn't already have an account to become engaged enough with our tool that they will be interested in upgrading to get an account to get the better user experience you're describing?

The "better user experience" you call out *is* for the user with an account, for whom we presumably want as pleasant an experience as possible.

The user *without* an account still has to deal with activating the link that has been provided to them. In fact, from the perspective of the user *without* an account, there will be literally zero difference in experience between the system I describe and one without this feature.

--
Adam Roach
Principal Platform Engineer