Thanks for your suggestion Uma.

Could you share how you get the remote stream on the setRemoteDescription
success callback?

The callback doesn't get passed any parameters, and I can't see a way to create
a mediaStream from a SDP (those where the two ways that I though might be an
option)

I was trying a different work around. Through my signalling channel, I am
sharing which peers have video / audio, and setting OfferToReceive... based on
if the peer was able to broadcast video / audio. This helped between two
Firefox clients, where both had audio on and video off.

I've tried to test each possible setup between chrome <-> chrome, firefox
<->firefox, and chrome <-> firefox, with audio always on, and switching video
on / off and am finding issues as below.

#       Caller                  Callee                  Works?
a       Chrome (no video)       Chrome (no video)       works

bi      Chrome (video)  Chrome (no video)        works
bii     Chrome (no video)       Chrome (video)   works

ci      FF (no video)   FF (no video)   works - with "dynamic" OfferToReceive

di      FF (no video)   FF (video)      does not work;
dii     FF (video)      FF (no video)   works

ei      Chrome (video)  ff (video)      works
eii     ff (video)      Chrome (video)  works

fi      Chrome (no video)       FF (video)      does not work;
fii     FF (video)      Chrome (no video)       does not work;

gi      Chrome (video)  FF (no video)           works
gii     FF (no video)   Chrome (video)  works

hi      Chrome (no video)       ff (no video)   works
hii     ff (no video)   Chrome (no video)       works