On 9/19/2012 7:04 AM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
A while ago (I think more than a couple of years ago now), Vlad implemented FunctionTimer which is a facility to time how much each function exactly takes to run. Then, I went ahead and instrumented a whole bunch of code which was triggered throughout our startup path to get a sense of what things are expensive there and what we can do about that. That code is hidden behind the NS_FUNCTION_TIMER build-time flag, turned on by passing --enable-functiontimer.

This dates back to the infancy of our profiling tools, and we have a much better built-in profiler these days which is usable without needing a build-time option. I don't even have the scripts I used to parse the output and the crude UI I used to view the log around any more. I've stopped building with --enable-functiontimer for a long time now, and I won't be surprised if that flag would even break the builds these days.

So, I'd like to propose that we should remove all of that code. Is anybody using function timers these days? (I'll take silence as consent! :-)
You have my vote. I believe this code is still broken on Windows.

Cheers,
Ehsan