I spent a while trying to find repro steps for this issue, since I
still run into it occasionally, but I've never managed to find
anything remotely reliable. In particular, I was never able to
reproduce it on a fresh instance of FF - for me it only happens after
the process has been alive for a while. Not sure if that means
anything.

Would it be possible to add some instrumentation that would let us
dive into this issue once we reproduce it - like a hotkey or toolbar
button that would start logging painting and invalidation? When I hit
this bug it is usually fairly persistent - i.e. all drag-selection
operations on a webpage show the same extremely long delay - so if
there was instrumentation like that, I'd be able to use it to record
info on the bug the next time I see it.

-kg