On Thursday 2013-01-17 17:58 -0500, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> The Aurora tree was closed yesterday by Ed because of the perma-orange
> failure filed in bug 823989, which went unnoticed for quite some time
> before Ed closed the tree.  This morning, I tried to reproduce the bug
> locally using the information posted on there and I saw that it was easily
> reproducible, so I spent some time to debug it and figure out what's
> happening, and landed a work-around.
>
> Then I noticed that there seems to be a bunch of other perma-oranges as
> well (leaks on Mac and Linux mochitest-bc caused by devtools tests and test
> failures on mochitest-bc).  I did work on bug 823989 in the hopes that I
> can reopen the tree, and I'm quite disappointed that these failures have
> been ignored on Aurora for such a long time.  As such, I'm keeping the
> Aurora tree closed.  I think keeping the trees green is a responsibility
> shared by everybody, and I would appreciate if some heros would step up and
> work on fixing the rest of the perma-oranges.
>
> Until that happens, there is no ETA on when Aurora will be reopened.
> Needless to say, this is a risk for Firefox 20, so I urge everybody to
> please help fix the test failures.

So given that this is a regression in Firefox 19 (which is now on
beta), and the only reason we're not seeing this permaorange on beta
is because we don't generate non-debug nightly builds on beta (and I
don't think we run tests on any of our debug nightlies), it seems
odd to close only Aurora for this.  It seems like depending on what
we think of its seriousness, we should either close both aurora and
beta, or we should close neither.

I'm inclined to say that this shouldn't hold the tree closed, though
I also think Ehsan's workaround in the bug (to say that testpilot
already customized the toolbar) is also perfectly reasonable; it
just means we're testing a slightly different configuration.

(We have *horrible* diversity of testing configuration compared to
what our users actually use; I don't think we should hold the tree
closed over this miniscule piece of it; I also think we should try
to improve it.)

-David