On 2013-01-30 2:23 PM, Daniel Holbert wrote:

However, be warned that there are patches in bug 629500 to get rid of
nsIPrinterEnumerator entirely (though that bug seems to have stalled a
bit, so I don't know how soon that will happen).

It's blocked on Windows-specific fixes (bug 693230) -- it looks like there's a patch in there, but nobody bothered to ask for review and it's also not clear whether it actually works. If anyone has low-level Windows GUI programming experience and spare brain cycles I could really use help with that part.

The intention is still to remove nsIPrinterEnumerator entirely. All the tier-1 platforms nowadays discourage use of the OS-level printer enumeration APIs, because they have to talk to the network and may block the calling thread for an indefinite period. You're supposed to just let the OS-supplied print dialog boxes figure it out for you.

zw