We need to have a cheap snapshot mechanism. There are a number of
options that have different cost models. Options include:

* Locking
* Defensive copying
* COW (Copy-on-write)
* Immutable trees O(log n)

I'd like to see less of the first two and more of the last two. We need
to create better abstractions for COW and immutable trees.