I think Rob was talking about the case where you would call e.g.:

"mach build browser/base"

mach could know that on Mac, that also requires the equivalent of
"mach build browser/app" for those changes to actually be repackaged
into the bundle in objdir/dist/, because the build system doesn't. Of
course it would probably be better to actually just fix the build
system rather than trying to work around it with mach magic (which has
the potential to be confusing, if you're not expecting mach to behave
differently than the equivalent make invocation).

Gavin