On Android at least, we don't seem to have this same mutually exclusive
gesture/touches problem. We receive touches in our Native UI layer, send them
to Gecko, and use Native gesture detectors at the same time. That code is in a
bit of flux at the moment as we're merging our Asynchronous Pan-Zoom code with
B2G's (which is in turn, basically a C++ implementation of our code), while
still using native gesture detectors (in some places). We also asynchronously
fire nsIDOMSimpleGestureEvents for pinchzoom events (but not for any swipes).
Because there's no exclusivity between determining gestures and touches, we
fire touch events whether or not preventDefault() was called on the first
touchstart/move of a series.

Mouse emulation is also done via native gesture detectors (detecting taps and
double taps and sending message to our javascript frontend). It would be nice
to move that into the platform to ensure its done consistently across
platforms. I haven't really looked at the new AsyncPanZoom stuff, but I was
hoping it would provide a path forward to make that happen.

Someone who knows that code better should comment, but I assume it should also
replace the Metro javascript pan/zoom stuff at some point, perhaps backed by
native gesture detection when the page doesn't have touch handlers, and using
b2g's gesture detection at other times? Maybe that's orthogonal to this
problem...

- Wes