On 04/26/2013 03:21 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
Also, I wonder if SQLite 4 (which is more like a key-value store)

SQLite 4 is not actually more like a key-value store. The underlying storage model used by the SQL-interface-that-is-the-interface changed from being a page-centric btree structure to a key-value store that is more akin to a log-structured merge implementation, but which will still seem very familiar to anyone familiar with the page-centric vfs implementation that preceded it. Specifically, it does not look like IndexedDB's model; it still does a lot of fsync's in order to maintain the requisite SQL ACID semantics.

Unless we exposed that low level key-value store, SQLite 4 would look exactly the same to consumers. The main difference would be that because records would actually be stored in their (lexicographic) PRIMARY KEY order, performance should improve in general, especially on traditional (non-SSD) hard drives. Our IndexedDB implementation, for one, could probably see a good performance boost from a switch to SQLite4.

Andrew